[Sca-cooks] Images - Copyright infringement - on topic for SCAwriters

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Sat Nov 13 14:09:04 PST 2010

Was written:

> Lets take a case in hand: A friend wrote a marvellous book. He got lung
> cancer. His adult son and he edited the book between oxygen tanks. Friend
> died and now son wants to publish in honor of a marvellous father and a
> fabulous book but between his own work, family and all he does not have
> the time to seek the approvals he needs for the images his Dad wanted to
> be published. - Too he does not know where to start - Isn't there an easy
> way to get this done?

No not really.

The best he could do is contact everyone with a request and a legal release
form(s) to be signed.  But that does not speak to the original that was
imaged or the manner in which it was imaged.  Remember Mickey Mouse and
Elvis?  Those are copywrited iconic images.  It doesn't matter how you
change the image.   If it can be recognized, and I suggest that anything
less would destroy its intended purpose, would set the legal beagles to
baying.

Daniel