[Sca-cooks] Mushroom Paella

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 15 10:03:07 PST 2010

Aldyth wrote:
>...this past
>weekend I was talking to a cook for one of the Midwinter variety feasts.
>She is doing Spanish. One of the dishes is mushroom Paella. Any ideas out
>there? She told me she had lifted with permission someones entire period
>Spanish feast and promised me links, but I can't seem to come up with it.
>And would like to give her some help or advice.

The Collegium Occidentalis was on Saturday (a West Kingdom event of
arts and sciences classes). I attended the Perfectly Period Feast II
(15th c. Spanish). Additionally, Brigid ni Chiarain graced us with
her presence and she taught a class, focused largely on her work
translating Ruperto de Nola (if that was even his name :) which i
took. As she pointed out, there are no SCA period paella dishes.
Dishes with rice, yes, but nothing like modern paellas.

So if there was a mushroom paella in an SCA feast, it is unlikely
that is is period.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita