[Sca-cooks] The Cooks Source Editor Speaks at last

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Nov 15 23:28:12 PST 2010

>At the Caidan Brewers Guild meeting yesterday, someone asked me
>about the legalities surrounding republishing a recipe, even on a
>free social medium.  I answered, "for the love of God I do not know
>how to answer this question, due to the current Cooks Source legal
>brangle.  Ask me next week."
>
>So I hope that someone here will keep us apprised.  I am VERY
>interested in an answer to this question.
>
>Cheers,
>Selene Colfox

If you want to be very cautious, either get permission or put the
recipe in your own words--the information in it is not protected by
copyright.

My guess is that reproducing a single recipe verbatim, with credit,
is very unlikely to get you into trouble. Fair use isn't a precise
category, but that should fit enough of the criteria to make you
reasonably safe.

The Miscellany has a fairly broad permission at the beginning; I
haven't decided what to do in the new edition with regard to online
reproduction permissions.

It occurs to me that one solution to the problem would be to web, in
addition to the pdf of the book, the recipes in HTML, with an anchor
for each--perhaps even a separate html document for each. Then anyone
who wants to can link instead of copying--to as many things as he
wants.

And yes, I know there are potential "framing" issues, but I doubt
anyone is going to worry about them in this context.
--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com