[Sca-cooks] Order of ingredients

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Nov 16 12:49:10 PST 2010

>On 17/11/2010 12:55 AM, Johnna Holloway wrote:
>>In modern cookbooks and recipes, the ingredients are usually listed
>>in the order in which they are used in the instructions.
>>If it instructs, chop the onions first, then the onions are listed first.
>>

>And then there's the question of whether one should write
>
>3 large onions
>.
>.
>Dice onions.
>
>or
>
>3 large onions, diced

And whether "3 large onions" or "1 1/2 lb onions" or "3 large onions
= 1 1/2 lb"?

I've mostly been giving onions by weight, garlic by number and size
of cloves, on the theory that people buy onions by weight and size
isn't very well defined, but many people don't have a scale,
especially not one that handles small amounts. That's for recipes
that don't specify size of onions.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com