[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 07:37:12 PST 2010

I was watching a video on the NYTimes website where Mark Bittman
spatchcocked a turkey (although he didn't call it that) and a 10 pounder
cooked in 35 minutes - I'm thinking I'm going to try it with our turkey this
year.  We'll still brine it but if it cooks in less than an hour - I'm all
for it.

Spatchcock - http://www.nytimes.com/pages/dining/index.html - this is the
front page of the dining section and when I just checked the video was the
second one on the play list.  The video is about half way down the page.

Take out the backbone and then flatten the bird - he also took out a bit of
the breast bone.  There may be other definitions and other versions but this
is the one we are going with.

We'll have all the regular stuff as well as a buffalo prime rib - who said
20 pounds of meat for 10 people was too much??!!!!!

Shoshana