[Sca-cooks] glace chestnuts

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 19 21:51:42 PST 2010

Thanks Shoshanna for giving us the directions for the glace chestnuts. It does sound like it is candying them, and not just a soft or hard coating like the Jordan almonds. Now, I've just got to see if the chestnuts show up in the market(s) here.

Thank you Johnnae for the pointer to the period use in La Varenne. I don't think I have that particular book, but this gives me something to search out sometime. I'd prefer to try the period recipe, if I can figure it out. Shoshanna's instructions should help there and may substitute if I don't have the period recipe when I have the chestnuts. Anyone wish to find it and post the recipe and their redaction here?

I'd also been considering adding the original message to the Florilegium on the basis that it might be period and I have little info on chestnuts already, but now I don't need to create an excuse. :-)

I wonder if this same technique would work on pecans? You can get sugar coated pecans, but I don't think they are candied in the sugar syrup, just coated.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com