[Sca-cooks] Polish Onion Soup

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Nov 20 13:32:33 PST 2010

Ok this is the one with sour cream

Polish Recipe: Old-Style Polish Onion Soup

 From the book My Homemade Polish Recipes by Ania Zaremba
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=116248548402555

Ingredients:
11/2 pounds onions
1 leek
2 parsley roots
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon butter
2 egg yolks
.. salt

Instructions
Rinse, peel, and dice the onions and vegetables. Saute them lightly in
butter. Transfer to a saucepan, cover with boiling water, salt, and
cook until tender. Cool slightly. Puree in a blender or food
processor. Mix the sour cream with the egg yolks and add to the hot
soup. Mix well. Salt to taste. Serve with croutons.
--
The Old Polish onion soup recipe can be found at
http://www.tastingpoland.com/food/recipes/old_polish_onion_soup.html

from my shelves and also on google books:

ONION SOUP POLISH STYLE
zupa cebulowa po polsku
Chop 5-6 onions (about 1 lb.) and simmer in 3 T. butter until
transparent and golden but not browned. Transfer to 6 c. court
bouillon containing the diced vegetables and cook 15 min. Force
through a sieve or mix in a blender. Fork-blend 1/2 cup sour cream
with 2 Tablespoons flour, stirring with 1 cup of the soup until
smooth. Return to soup pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper, a
pinch or two of sugar, and one half teaspoon or so Maggi extract.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with croutons. Can be made with
beef stock.

recipe from
Robert and Maria Strybel's Polish Heritage Cookery, 2005.

Maybe the cook of the feast will take pity on you and send you the
recipe.

Johnnae