[Sca-cooks] A Scholar's Lunch

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Sat Nov 20 14:00:01 PST 2010

Guillaume, many thanks for this wonderful find!

<<

Hermeneumata Pseudodositheana (ca. 280 p. Chr. n.)
III. Colloquia Monacensia
http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~harsch/Chronologia/Lspost03/Dositheus/dos_col3.html

[Greek text deleted]

Ad quem, dixit. Quae pars orationis? declinavi genera nominum, partivi
versum. ut haec egimus, dimisit ad prandium. dimissus venio domi. muto,
accipio panem candidum, olivas, caseum, caricas, nuces. bibo aquam frigidam.
pransus revertor iterum in scholam. invenio magistrum perlegentem, et dixit:
Incipite ab initio.

On which, he said. What are the parts of speech? I declined nouns, dividing
up a verse. have we done so that this, he hath left to a meal. is set at
liberty, I came home. to change, I take white bread, olives, cheese, dried
figs, and nuts. I drink cold water. I turn back again from lunch to school.
find the teacher reading, and he said, "Begin from the beginning." >>

A few comments, just for the record, on your translation of some parts.

> Ad quem, dixit. Quae pars orationis?

I guess these are accessus-questions, that were used in order to better
understand a certain passage of a text that the pupils had to expound and to
comment on.

"To whom is the text in question addressed, he (the teacher) said. Which part of
speech is it (the text in question that the pupil had to comment on)?

> ut haec egimus, dimisit ad prandium.

When we came to an end with this part of our work, he sent us away to dinner.
(dimittere, to send away, to let go; dimisit = he sent away)

> muto,

Would that mean 'in silence'? (adv. mutum 'silent') -- or 'I change dress'? (vb.
muto 'I change')

> caricas, dried figs

Why dried? lit. fig from caria.

Thanks again,