[Sca-cooks] NPR Segment on Copyright infringement

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 11:01:03 PST 2010

What I am told by our SCA lawyers is that the list of ingredients is not
protected but the directions/instructions and any commentary is.

Kiri (wearing her CA Editor hat)

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM, David Walddon <david at vastrepast.com>wrote:

> It is nice that they listed it as adapted.
> But I think that the "grey" area on recipes is actually in play here.
> If they had taken your commentary on the recipe. That would be another
> matter.
> But the a recipe is hard to protect.
> Translations are even a problem.
> I carefully document all my translation efforts (noting differences and
> similarities from existing translations if there are any).
> I am not as careful on recipes but I am almost always utilizing multiple
> different sources to come up with my own (when I am working in a modern
> sense) or I am going from the original language and multiple translations
> (if it is a period source).
>
> Is there any actual case law around recipes?
>
> Eduardo

> Food is life. May the plenty that graces your table truly be a VAST REPAST.
>
> David Walddon
> david at vastrepast.com
> www.vastrepast.net
>

> On Nov 25, 2010, at 1:33 AM, David Friedman wrote:
>
> > It's worth noting that Food Network is not in a terribly good position to
> complain. I discovered quite some time ago that they had pirated, verbatim,
> a recipe from the Miscellany. I complained, they apologized, and the recipe
> is now listed as "adapted from" the Miscellany. "Adapted" means that they
> converted "1/2 hour" to "30 minutes," and I think made one or two other
> tweaks on that order.
> > --
> > David Friedman
> > www.daviddfriedman.com
> > daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince