[Sca-cooks] Types of Wheat for Bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Nov 26 13:52:39 PST 2010

I think you will find that Tudor wheat was common wheat (Triticum aestivum)
which began replacing emmer (T. dicoccum) as the primary wheat in Europe around
700 CE.

I'm away from my library at the moment and will be for a few more days, so
references are out.

Stone milling of various types was what was used in period.  Roller milling is
usually considered a 19th Century process although there is some evidence that
they were used experimental as early as the 17th Century.

Bear

________________________________
Greetings!  I'm pretty sure someone here has the information and could provide
some links to internet articles... What type of wheat was used for bread during
Tudor times?

I know that other grains were used for various types of bread - millet, barley,
rye, oats.  Are there any articles or web sites that tell about the different
qualities and types of bread from grains other than wheat?

What about grinding methods?  I'm guessing that grinding between stones was the
only type used.  Metal rollers would be much, much later, right?

Any links or web sites would be greatly appreciated.

Asking on behalf of another,
Alys K.
-- Elise Fleming