[Sca-cooks] Types of Wheat for Bread

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 26 18:30:57 PST 2010

And now that I think about it, if you were looking to pursue strains of wheat in question and what might be similar there are a few places to start.
First, archaeological examinations of thatch, which sometimes date back that far and can be typed for strains:http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba58/feat1.shtml
The heritage wheat conservancy:http://www.growseed.org/BROCHURE.pdf
And, if you're willing to do some hound-dogging of your own to determine which landrace strains go back that far, the USDA offers small (5 gr) samples of about every strain in their database:http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=11896
I have a few samples lying around yet.  However, this year the bunny rabbits ate ALL of my Dutch Winter Barley.  Every.  Last.  Stalk.  (Hassenpfeffer, anyone?)
Femke