[Sca-cooks] Grinding Flour:Bran-Starch

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Nov 27 07:53:40 PST 2010

Extraction rate (IIRC) is about the percentage of the wheat grain that is
actually converted to flour, not just starch, but also germ and a few other
things.  As I recall, it's tested by burning a specified quantity of the flour
and comparing the weight of the ash to the original weight.  Roller mills
actually strip the germ from the wheat grains at the beginning of the process,
leaving roller milled flour as mostly starch and protein.  I suspect that the
difference in extraction rates may be attributed in large part to the germ, the
oil containing portion of the wheat and how it affects the measurement of ash.

Modern bolting uses wire mesh screens.  Medieval bolting uses various weaves of
cloth with the finest flour being bolted trough extremely fine weave silk.
Medieval bolting takes longer and costs more, but it will produce extremely fine
flour.  Farm baked bread was probably given a single pass through a horse hair
sieve.

Medieval flour was whole meal.  Modern flour tends to have the germ stripped
from it.  To make a flour similar to that which was used in period, one needs to
produce an extremely fine whole meal flour, either take a whole wheat flour and
sieve it very fine or find a source for whole wheat pastry flour.  If I am not
worried about absolute accuracy, unbleached flour makes a fine substitute.

The idea of mixing whole wheat and AP flour to make a substitute for medieval
flour is a misunderstanding of the milling process.  I've already tried it and
the results are unsatisfactory

I would also suggest that 80% extraction would have been from the best stone
mills.  Depending on the quality of the stones and their dressing, the
extraction rate might be considerably less.

Bear