[Sca-cooks] thieving bunny rabbits

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 10:04:23 PST 2010

I ate period rabbit in Mallorca a few weeks ago. Marvelous flavour, they
said it was an old Catalan recipe from the 1400-century.
Garlic, oil and the rabbit cooked in his blood.

Ana

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Sharon Palmer <ranvaig at columbus.rr.com>wrote:

>   > I'm not sure I have much on catching them in a period way, though.
>>  >

> Once they have been caught, maybe Rabbit knodel?
>
> Von einem Küniglein
> From a rabbit there are eleven dishes to make.
>
> 1. Roasted/ it could be cold or warm/ it is good in both manners.
>
> 2. Prepared in its own blood/ or in black (sauce?)/ it could be sweet or
> sour/ like this one can the Hare preserve in a pepper (sauce) and blood.
>
> 3.  Preserved in its own stock with parsley.
>
> 4.  Rabbit in a pie/ it could be cold or warm.
>
> 5. Put up in a yellow gescharb sauce/ be it with almonds or apples/ with
> onions chopped together and browned/ made up with Butter/ yellow and nicely
> sour/ with small black raisins/ and good beef stock/ that is not oversalted/
> take browned flour into it/ and let them simmer together. And when the
> rabbit is roasted/ than cut it into the gescharb/ let it simmer together/
> like this it becomes well tasting and good. And such a rabbit one can roast/
> and in apple slices or in a almond gescharb sauce/ and let cook together/ or
> put up with onions nicely sweet/ like this it is good and well tasting.
>
> 6. Smoked or salted rabbit/ cold or warm/ is good in both manners/ also to
> cook under green herbs/ it could be spinach/ green or white cabbage.
>
> 7. Meatballs of rabbit white or yellow/ or steamed nicely brown in a pepper
> (sauce) or also in a gescharb sauce of apples or almonds/ sour or sweet/ it
> is good to eat.
>
> 8. Also yellow prepared/ with salted lemon/ or white with lemon/ or
> steamed/ when it is roasted/ that one slices and divides.
>
> 9. Also meatball pies/ they could be white or yellow in a covered Pie.
>
> 10.  You can also make a black (sauce?) from the rabbit/ let the blood
> simmer with lungs and liver/ mix with mild spice/ nicely sweet/ like this it
> is good and lovely to eat.
>
> 11. If you want to put up a live rabbit in a pie/ thus make a dough with
> white or black Flour that is strong and solid/ raise the Pie high enough
> that the rabbit can sit inside. And when you have raised the pie/ make it
> completely full of Bran/ then make the cover over it/ fire? in oven and
> bake/ take out and let become cold/ and when it is cold/ then cut a hole
> under the base/ throw the bran out/ thus becomes hollow. Make the hole large
> enough that you can push the rabbit inside. And when you will serve, push
> the rabbit inside/ set on a dish and let on a table carry. And you must talk
> with the Fürschneider/ that the pie is cut open on the table/ when it is cut
> open/ then it jumps out/ like this it is very courtly and delicate.
>
> Of a Coney you can make all the dishes/ that you would prepare from a
> rabbit/ for they are not very different from each other.
>
> Ranvaig

http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com
http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci