[Sca-cooks] Magninus Mediolanensis on sauces: Regimen / Latin, Irish

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun Nov 28 17:44:13 PST 2010

On 11/28/2010 2:23 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
> Any chance we're speaking of John Scotus Eiriugenia? He would have been involved with one of Charlemagne's grandsons, I think...

I think you're right about that, but I can't remember if it was a
grandson or one generation further down. I lose interest once the great
Charles is dead. (Taught class last week that covered that era, but
there really is a real breaking point after Charles dies.)
> Subject of a famous medieval joke, in which the monk and the king were exchanging banter, in Latin, over the dinner table, and the king asks, colloquially translated, what is the difference between an idiot and an Irishman (implying there is none), but literally, "What stands between an idiot and an Irishman?" "Mensa," replies the monk -- the table.
>
> Adamantius

I heard that one as 'what is the distance between a sot and a Scot?' the
answer to which is 'the width of this table'. However, that only works
if they were speaking modern English to each other, eh? ;-)

Liutgard
(who is staying firmly in Charles' era because she doesn't much like Louis)

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore