[Sca-cooks] Magninus Mediolanensis and late medieval Iro-Scottish medicine and diet

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Nov 29 18:08:54 PST 2010

The article as mentioned by Emilio

>> "The Scottish Historical Review
>> Volume 86, Number 1: No. 221, April 2007
>> E-ISSN: 1750-0222 Print ISSN: 0036-9241
>> DOI: 10.1353/shr.2007.0047
>> Proctor, Caroline.
>> Physician to The Bruce: Maino De Maineri in Scotland
>> The Scottish Historical Review - Volume 86, Number 1: No. 221,
>> April 2007, pp.
>> 16-26
is part of Project Muse which means I have access to it.

Kiri asked if this would be a source for food in Scotland.

Sadly, no.

Maino just simply drops in this one comment in the section on eels
which reads:

"I am certain that this fish should not be eaten because I have seen
it during
the time I was with the king of the Scots, Robert Br uce, who risked
many
dangers by eating murenae, which are by nature like lampreys. It is tr
ue that
these murenae were caught in muddy and cor r upt waters."

And that is it for King Robert I (1306-29).

He apparently makes one other mention for Scotland--

"(though, earlier in the Liber
medicinalibus, the Scots are noted amongst the great beer-drinkers of
Northern Europe)."

The rest of the article concentrates on Maino's career and medical
practices.

Johnna