[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 55, Issue 46

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Sat Nov 20 03:08:35 PST 2010

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 21:05:59 -0800
From: Karen Lyons-McGann <karenthechef at gmail.com>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] A More Polite Response to TV-Inspired Contest

>When did the word 'cake' come into being?  What did it mean? off the top of
>my head, a fruit packed baked good, yes?
>Lady Bonne

The earliest use I've seen the word 'cake' is in the late 16th century for
things that reading the recipe made me go 'that's shortbread'. I have a
recipe for a 17th century Italian fruit cake that is beginning to resemble
something like cake. This is where I've always placed the beginnings of true
cake in my mind.

Angharad