[Sca-cooks] Description of the Beaver

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Nov 24 04:00:20 PST 2010

This never posted so I will send it again. I hope it comes through ok
this time.

I came across Harrison’s description today which described the rest of
the beast as akin to a large rat.

Here's the description from the online version of Harrison from
Fordham.edu.

  "I might here intreat largely of other vermin, as the polecat, the
miniver, the weasel, stote, fulmart, squirrel, fitchew, and such like,
which Cardan includeth under the word Mustela: also of the otter, and
likewise of the beaver, whose hinder feet and tail only are supposed
to be fish.

Certes the tail of this beast is like unto a thin whetstone, as the
body unto a monstrous rat: as the beast also itself is of such force
in the teeth that it will gnaw a hole through a thick plank, or shere
through a double billet in a night; it loveth also the stillest
rivers, and it is given to them by nature to go by flocks unto the
woods at hand, where they gather sticks wherewith to build their
nests, wherein their bodies lie dry above the water, although they so
provide most commonly that their tails may hang within the same.

  It is also reported that their said tails are delicate dish, and
their stones of such medicinal force that (as Vertomannus saith) four
men smelling unto them each after other did bleed at the nose through
their attractive force, proceeding from a vehement savour wherewith
they are endued.

  There is greatest plenty of them in Persia, chiefly about Balascham,
from whence they and their dried cods are brought into all quarters of
the world, though not without some forgery by such as provide them.

  And of all these here remembered, as the first sorts are plentiful
in every wood and hedgerow, so these latter, especially the otter
(for, to say the truth, we have not many beavers, but only in the
Teisie in Wales) is not wanting or to seek in many, but most, streams
and rivers of this isle; but it shall suffice in this sort to have
named them, as I do finally the martern, a beast of the chase,
although for number I worthily doubt whether that of our beavers or
marterns may be thought to be the less."

  from Modern History Sourcebook: William Harrison (1534-1593):
Description Of England, 1577 (from Holinshed's Chronicles)

Of Savage Beasts And Vermin

[1577, Book III., Chapters 7 and 12; 1587, Book III., Chapters 4 and 6.]

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1577harrison-england.html

Johnnae