[Sca-cooks] copyright myth

brooke white traumspindel at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 26 08:30:21 PST 2010

"we are not publishing it in a format that someone is paying for."

I have absolutely NO diea where this perpetuating idea come from, that if
you don't get payed for teh infringement it is none. THAT is absolute
bolloks. not foor profit and offering for free have no real bearing on the
question of infringement. They are - if at all - indicators of a possible
fair use case, even though you can make money under fair use and you can
infringe without ever seeing money for it.

Movie pirating and offering for free on the internet, even to your friends,
like it is not is absolutely a copyright infringement.

so is stealing any other kind of work.

Our problem is not so much the 'stealing intellectual property' which , I
think we can agree on plain wrong, but that we are dealing with the problem
of copyright as it affects availablity. We don't own that many books that
have been printed 100 years ago (I have two methinx and they are not
culinary, sadly enough) so we are dealing with the right of the publisher.
and we feel that should not infringe on our right to examine and understand
period sources. and while we are not all academics, fair use does not
require that. It requires a legally acknoledged interest in open discussion.

What we do on this list is the very example of fair use most of teh time.

What does 'some leeks' mean in source A?
If the same recipe calls for 'some' and 'a little' and 'half' is it - with
this author- fair to assume it refers to a variety of amounts or is it just
for elegance of language and means roughly the same.? Has anybody cooked it
yet? how did you adapt it?....
That is the idea behind fair use.

we should understand and respect copyright (even if you don't aspire to be a
writer like myself ;)) but fair use is basically exactly that: teh fair use
of information provided in a book  or other publication, that was meant to
impart said infromation. A primary  redaction however is always covered
under intellectual property. So it is fairly easy actually.

don't just steal somebody elses work, if you refer to somebodys specific
work acknolegde it, keep the discussion alive and we SHOULD be fine

ELisande
(Who actually is a compartive lawyer and has done quite a bit of research on
IP laws in the US and other parts of the world)