[Sca-cooks] Ibn Battula"s Meals

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Sun Oct 3 14:37:11 PDT 2010

In Dunn's book, page 166, he translates the account of a meal at Azak (Tana, now Azov (at the mouth of the Don for those interested in geography) as follows:

"millet gruel, macaroni, boiled meat of horse and sheep, and fermented mare's milk, called qumizz."

The reference to macaroni puzzles.  It references some sort of pasta of that I'm reasonably sure.  I'm suspecting that he is likely talking about broad flat noodles.  Would they be made from wheat?

Dan