[Sca-cooks] Ibn Battula"s Meals

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Sun Oct 3 23:33:59 PDT 2010

Was written:

 Since durum was being grown in Dhufar (west coast of the Arabian
Peninsula), the Horn of Africa would have had easy access to it.

My reply:

Yes but we are talking about a meal served in Azov a city up the River Don.
Azov (Russian: ?????, pronounced [a'zof]) is a town in Rostov Oblast,
Russia, situated on the Don River just sixteen kilometers from the Sea of
Azov.  The River Don flows into the Sea of Azov from the north east.  The
Sea of Azov connects to the Black Sea on its north side.

I suspect that "macaroni" is used by Dunn generically for pasta.  All that
being said the grain used in making the pasta could have been grown locally?
We know that millet was also served at the meal.   The "macaroni" referenced
could have been made from wheat, buckwheat or millet?  Macaroni as we know
it is in the form of tubular noodles.  Did tubular noodles exist in Azov at
the time?

Daniel