[Sca-cooks] Ibn Battula"s Meals- Italian macaronis

Euriol of Lothian euriol at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 08:29:08 PDT 2010

Do you have the URL of the 1611 Florio?

Thank you,

 Euriol

________________________________
From: Raphaella DiContini <raphaellad at yahoo.com>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tue, October 5, 2010 11:24:41 AM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Ibn Battula"s Meals- Italian macaronis

I have reference from a will witnessed and notarized in Genoa on February 2,
1279, of Panzio Bastion, a soldier, which listed in the inventory of his estate
a ('una bariscella plena de macaronis'), or “barrel full of macaroni". To me
this is important not only because of what's mentioned, but that it was
considered to be of valuable enough to be named in a will.

Clearly, this dosen't speak to anything outside of Italy or give a definative
shape description but it does verify the usage of this term in this time, and
the monitary importance of some dried pasta products.

Looking up the term "Maccaroni" the online 1611 Florio yeilds "A kind of meat
made of round peeces of paste, boyled in water and put into a dish with butter,
spice and grated cheese upon them."

In joyous service,
Raffaella