[Sca-cooks] Leven: yeast or sourdough?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Oct 10 13:23:31 PDT 2010

Recipes frequently don't say--and if they do refer to yeast,
especially in a translation, the word might actually mean sourdough.
I gather that sourdough, technically, is not yeast but a different
organism with similar effects, but even assuming that's right, there
is no reason to expect people in period to know.

Our working assumption is that "berme" means yeast from beer residue
and that otherwise the leven is beer yeast in beer drinking areas,
sourdough in areas that don't drink beer, including the Islamic
world. But I don't think we have any really solid evidence on the
subject--does anyone else?
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com