[Sca-cooks] OT: With all due respect

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 18:00:41 PDT 2010

Stephanie wrote:

Shouldn't the bigger question here be-  is this really relevant to the SCA
cooks list?

I am rather confused why it was posted

Stephanie

Actually it is quite relevant on the two sides of the world. The
Spaniards took their concubines to the new world who were Spanish-Islams
fleeing from the Inquisition and they took their recipes which today are
common fare in South America but forgotten in Spain.
Not much is written about American female slaves being taken to Europe
but perhaps we have something there. Hernando Pizarro married his niece,
a half Incan princess.
Yes, Europeans killed Americans with their diseases which I do not
consider an issue as far as medieval recipes are concerned.
That is not my point.
Slaves from Roman times through the American Civil War contributed to
gastronomy. Columbus was not the founder of slavery! He was simply a man
of his times serving the crown of Castile.
Suey