[Sca-cooks] Leven: yeast or sourdough?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 10 22:05:25 PDT 2010

Cariadoc mentioned:
<<< Our working assumption is that "berme" means yeast from beer residue
and that otherwise the leven is beer yeast in beer drinking areas,
sourdough in areas that don't drink beer, including the Islamic
world.>>>

Does wine making (from grapes, although I guess other fruits and honey as well) produce residue which includes yeast?

If so, can't that yeast be used to produce yeast for bread and such? Or is that a different yeast unsuitable for use as a bread leaven?

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com