[Sca-cooks] Where does the "remove" error come from?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Oct 11 13:00:21 PDT 2010

I was recently in a Usenet exchange in which a U.K. reenactor
described a feast reenactment, set in 1500, as having fifteen
removes. It isn't yet clear whether the term was his or was from
whomever organized the reenactment, nor whether he meant fifteen
courses, which would be a second error.

But that got me curious. Where did the idea that "remove" is the
period term for "course" originate? Was it in the SCA? In historical
novels read by people in the SCA? Somewhere else?
--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com