[Sca-cooks] SPANISH MEDIEVAL FOOD VOCABULARY

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 13:28:52 PDT 2010

First of all I gave the wrong address for my blog. The correct one is http://spanishfoodma.blogspot.com/

Elise Fleming

An interesting concept... Are you saying that shoes (abarcas) were eaten
as well as abubillas (hoopoe)??  In what medieval cookery book is the
hoopoe listed as an ingredient in a dish?  The Old Testament
(Deuteronomy) lists them as a bird forbidden to the Jews.

Or are the shoes supposed to be on a page that doesn't say "Spanish Food
of the Middle Ages"?

Abarcas- highlander shoes. Good point Elise. Many thanks. As they were not eaten as food I shall eliminate them from my list.
Abudillas (hoopoe) - interesting - prohibited by Jews - while Christians claimed the meat sharpens the mind. My friend Israel J. Katz claims that God prohibited Jews from eating shrimp as they increase intelligence
and we do not want Jews any smarter then are!
Suey