[Sca-cooks] Scappi

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Oct 24 17:56:43 PDT 2010

This is the Fiorvanti that was a physician in Bologna in the 16th Century?
If so, this recipe dates from before his death in 1588, which means you've
just given me another beautiful bread recipe from period.

The recipe is roughly the same as one from 1891 which means it is probably
similar to that which was used in Sienna in the 13th Century.

Thank you.

The one problem I see in equating this panforte with panettone is that
panettone is made with an enriched dough including butter, milk and eggs
while panforte is a slightly sweetened standard bread dough (or a rather
sticky gallette primarily of honey, fruit and nuts).  Even the recipes from
1891 maintain this difference.

Bear