[Sca-cooks] The Adventures of Ibn Battula

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Oct 2 05:52:32 PDT 2010

The adventures of Ibn Battuta, a Muslim traveler of the fourteenth
century by Ross E. Dunn. Google books has it up. The quote is on page
124.

The version The travels of Ibn Battuta: A.D. 1325 1354 by Ibn Batuta,
B. R. Sanguinetti doesn't contain the word "chilies."
The question would be--- do other versions use the word or are certain
versions using a modern word or term for Ibn Battuta's 14th century
peppers? (Numerous texts point out that the region now uses a very hot
chile pepper extensively. Was the modern pepper known as the African
devil chile thought to be the traditional pepper of centuries past?)

Running a search on Ibn Battuta and the word chilies through Google
Books leads to Ibn Battuta in Black Africa
  By Ibn Batuta, Said Hamdun, Noël Quinton King.
A footnote in that book on page 78 reads
"The word translated 'chilies' is fulfil, compare Kiswahili pilipili."

Searching on pilipili
pilipili, pili-pili, piripiri n. from pilipili "pepper": red pepper,
capsicum, bird's-eye chili; red-pepper sauce [< Swahili < Persian]

I suspect that what Ibn Battula was served was a variety of black
pepper or even long pepper. Was it served fresh? Some of the texts
call it chopped. One would think that it should have been ground.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/pepper-profiles/152-baccatum-pubescens-and-frutescens-species/107-pepper-profile-african-birdseye

profiles the African Birdseye pepper (another new world in origin
capsicum pepper) and notes "pili-pili simply means "pepper-pepper" and
is a generic term for any African chile."

I think it's safe to say he was served a hot pepper of old world origin.

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200801/
where.the.pepper.grows.htm  talks about Where the pepper grows in
relation to its use in Arab history.

Johnnae