[Sca-cooks] The Adventures of Ibn Battula

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 2 08:10:51 PDT 2010

On Oct 2, 2010, at 6:53 AM, Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps wrote:

> I am puzzled at the inclusion of chilies in this description as I understand them to have been introduced from the new world.  Perhaps the translation from the original text is in error?

I'm not saying this is what's happening, but it seems like long pepper is often assumed by the ignorant (or let's say the insufficiently prepared) to be chiles. I just saw that in something by Madeleine Kamman, who should know better.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter