[Sca-cooks] OT: With all due respect

Kate Wood malkin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 15:22:17 PDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 6:18 PM, James Prescott
<prescotj at telusplanet.net> wrote:

> Whoa!
>
> Are you implying that the "colonization of the Americas", aka the brutal
> theft
> of two continents from their inhabitants, with rape, murder, and genocide,
> is
> somehow on a higher moral plane than the slave trade?

I can't quite tell if you're being facetious or not, so I'll answer
seriously. Of course not - genocide was quite bad enough, and just one
reason the lionization of Columbus is uncomfortable to say the least.
However, it also had a direct connection to the formation of the
organized slave trade in the Americas, which the OP appears to be
either ignorant of or simply not considering to be important.

Kate