[Sca-cooks] Where does the "remove" error come from?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Oct 11 16:55:38 PDT 2010

It's always interesting to re-research such things. (And I know that
Countess Alys has her famous article on the topic.)

OED online tonight says
b. Cookery. A dish that is served during a course in place of one that
is removed. Formerly also: the action or an act of removing such a
dish or dishes at a meal (obs.). Now chiefly hist.
   In later use, esp. in the contexts of French cookery.

1625 S. PURCHAS Pilgrimes IV. 345
The dishes so placed..that they did reach a yard high as we sate, and
yet each dish fit to bee dealt upon without remoove.

That of course would have made it slip in under that once upon a time
1650 cut-off date. Did someone come across this phrase and use remove
as to make our SCA feasts different

[This quotation is not mentioned in Countess Alys' article.]

Or maybe it came from Larousse

1961 N. FROUD et al. tr. P. Montagné Larousse Gastronomique 805/2

Remove. Relevé Dish which in French service relieves (in the sense
that one sentry relieves another) the soup or the fish.
---
Course

  30. A row, range, or layer.    a. A layer, stratum. Obs. exc. as in
b, c.

c1430 Two Cookery-bks. 49 Ley e iiij. course of in Fleyssche..as brode
as in cake.
1523 FITZHERB. Husb. §131 Set the nethermoste course vpon the endes,
and the seconde course flat vppon the syde.
1553 BRENDE Q. Curtius Fviij, Over those a newe course of trees and
stones agayne.

26. Each of the successive parts or divisions of a meal, whether
consisting of a single dish, or of a set of dishes placed upon the
table at once.

c1325 Coer de L. 3429 Fro kechene come the fyrste cours, With pypes,
and trumpes, and tabours.
c1386 CHAUCER Sqr.'s T. 58 It nedeth nat for to deuyse At every cours
the ordre of hire servyse.
c1477 CAXTON Jason 119 How many course and how many dishes at euery
cours ther were seruid.
1599 MINSHEU Dial. Sp. & Eng. (1623) 6 Bring us some Olives for the
third course.

As to the common usage in the SCA and where remove came from, I
suspect the answer lies in one of those 'historical' cookery books
that were available in the late 1960's. Mead mentions that servers
removed dishes. Maybe it came from that. Or maybe someone copied a
fancy banquet menu that used the term remove and it came to be the
term that was used.

Johnnae