[Sca-cooks] Remove - no documentation

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Oct 12 09:37:56 PDT 2010

>Sounds like you're talking about the difference between French and Russian
>service.  Russian service began being used in 1850, in Russia; it's the
>method of bringing one "course," removing it, and putting out a next one,
>and so on.  French (the previous usage) was everything out at once, and a
>mad scramble to get everything.

You can find th same distinction in the Anonymous Andalusian
Cookbook, which is 13th c. The introduction of "Russian Service" in
al-Andalus is generally credited to Ziryab, a ninth century arbiter
elegantiarum. I gather the practice didn't catch on in the rest of
the Islamic world.

But 14th and 15th c. medieval meals were not served all together but
in courses, so I'm not sure exactly what and when "French service"
was.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com