[Sca-cooks] http://cookbookhistory.wordpress.com/

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Oct 16 19:18:26 PDT 2010

> His other claim to fame was printing the Bible in the people's vernacular,
> I believe German, versus the traditional Latin.
> If I remember correctly this angered the Church.
> Aelina

Myth.  The Mazarin (AKA Gutenberg) Bible was in Latin in a Gothic typeface.
The first Bible translated into English was begun by John Wycliffe and
completed by John Purcey in 1388, 60 to 70 years before Gutenberg's.  The
Church authorized the translation (Douay-Rheims) of the Bible into English
in the late 16th Century.

Bear