[Sca-cooks] cooking for a vigil

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 07:04:44 PDT 2010

I've been responsible for the food at several vigils...and will share what
I've done.  However, inter-Kingdom anthropology being what it is...

1)  I wouldn't worry about the likes/dislikes/allergies of anyone except the
candidate.  You are, IMHO, providing this as a courtesy....that being said,
I would make sure that I knew about specific ingredients even if you don't
post a list.  I have never had a problem, quite frankly.

2) I think this depends on the size of the event.  If it were at Pennsic,
I'd probably provide more than if it were happening at a small local event.
 You will probably have a number of different items, so you won't need to
provide nearly as much as you would for a sit-down feast. For example, if I
were providing cookies...I'd probably fix maybe 2 dozen for a small event, 3
or 4 for a larger event.  And don't put it all out at once!

3)  DEFINITELY...DO NOT try to do it all yourself.  People want to help. Ask
for contributions, definitely in food, utensils (paper plates,napkins, cups,
ice, drinks) and, if needed, in money.  Firstly, either send an email to the
Order...or get someone to do so.  If even the Order doesn't know, talk
privately with family or close friends to get help.

4)  Soup is a very bad idea.  This is a snack presentation, and eating soup
would be very difficult.  And you'd need to provide spoons and bowls.  If
it's going to be cold, try providing a warm drink...maybe mulled cider.  As
has been suggested, finger foods are the best.  You could do pies, but
either making them tartlets or small filled pastries would be easier to
serve.  Fruit is good, as are nuts and dried fruit.  One dish that's
somewhat ubiquitous to many cultures are the stuffed dates...I know there's
a recipe in Apicius for them (Dates Alexandrine) and also a middle eastern
version as well.  I did them for a vigil and they were a great success!

Hope this helps....

Kiri

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Irmgard <irmgart at gmail.com> wrote:

> I find myself tapped to cook for a surprise vigil in late February,
> and am VERY exited about the opportunity, but... I'm concerned about a
> few of things.
>
> 1) Obviously, I will take into account the allergies/likes/dislikes of
> the person to be elevated and the immediate family/friend group, but I
> really don't want to have to provide ingredients for everything I (or
> someone else) make. I also don't want to be completely tied to the
> vigil area for the whole day.  Are either really necessary?
>
> 2) How should I figure out how many people to plan on feeding? I
> really don't want to run out of food, even if we do run out of some
> things.
>
> 3) I'm seriously short on fundage, and will probably be for the
> foreseeable future. What is a good way to get people to donate either
> money, ingredients or finished dishes w/o the recipient finding out? I
> can't exactly post over the local mailing list, and I'm new enough to
> not be sure who I can trust not to spill the beans.. :)
>
> 4) How feasible is it to serve a soup/stew? I have access to several
> crock pots, and possibly an electric roaster.
>
> help me please?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> ~Irmgard

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince