[Sca-cooks] Early Flatbreads

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Oct 21 03:34:19 PDT 2010

Another article here:

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/10/the-cavemens-complex-kitchen.html
  indicates
"The grains came mostly from roots, stems, and leaves of cattail and
fern plants, not the typical wheat and barley of modern farmers. After
grinding, the early chefs most likely added water and cooked up a
flatbread or soup, says co-author Laura Longo of the University of
Siena in Italy. Because gathering and cooking were largely women's
work, Revedin says evidence of grinding indicates an increasingly
vital role for women in prehistoric societies."

Report is here for those with access:
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/10/08/1006993107

Johnnae