[Sca-cooks] Leche Lumbard was Gingerbread Playhouse

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Sat Oct 23 05:21:57 PDT 2010

There are several somewhat similar recipes in Viandier.  They have
ground almonds, which is a major difference.

Here is the closest.

Lenten slices.
Take peeled almonds, crush very well in a mortar, steep in water
boiled and cooled to lukewarm, strain through cheesecloth, and boil
your almond milk on a few coals for an instant or two. Take some
cooked hot water pastries a day or two old and cut them into bits as
small as large dice. Take figs, dates and Digne raisins, and slice
the figs and dates like the hot water pastries. Throw everything into
it, leave it to thicken like Frumenty, and boil some sugar with it.
To give it colour, have some saffron for colouring it like Frumenty.
It should be gently salted.

Thorvald