[Sca-cooks] Spiral Bound or Perfect? One Book or Two

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Oct 26 15:44:54 PDT 2010

I've been doing some more calculations, assuming we use CreatSpace,
which is Amazon's POD subsidiary. We have the following options:

Single volume containing everything, 8x10, double columned, about 400
pages, selling for about $17

Two volumes, double columned, 8x10, about 200 pages each, selling for
about $11 each
(Could produce the complete version plus one of the two, containing
recipes and cooking articles--I'm not sure anyone would want the
Miscellany minus all the cooking stuff.)

Two volumes, single columned, about 6x9, selling for about $15 each.

Part of what is driving these calculations is line length--the
general opinion seems to be that about 66 characters is optimal, and
a big commercial cookbook that is double columned has each column at
about 52 characters. I'm aiming at 66 for a single columned book, at
least 52 and preferably more for a double columned, and 11 point
times for both.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com