[Sca-cooks] The Spice Route

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 18:26:31 PDT 2010

Kathryn Wood
  wrote:

Uh, actually, Columbus's exploration of the Americas did set off a rush to exploit them, first focused on gold, then on labor. It was only after the indigenous peoples failed to be a lucrative source of labor that the Europeans turned to the Africans as a source. Honoring Columbus as a symbol of the colonization of the Americas without acknowledging his role in the slave trade is ignoring a big old elephant in the room.

Kate

I think that was secondary. The aim was a spice route. Salt and spices dominated European explorations not gold and other minerals.
I do not find Columbus involved in mineral export. That came later.
Suey