[Sca-cooks] The Castillian Accent

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 15:45:39 PDT 2011

> Everyone speaks with an accent no matter the language, it is part of who we are.  In the main all accents are beautiful, to the speaker if not the listener.
>
> What I quoted you was a very old joke, sorry that it fell flat.
>
> Side note "gringo" is generally considered to be a pejorative, an ethnic slur.  Tis not politely used.
>
> >  Regarding accents, it is my understanding that all but Castillians speak Spanish with an accent and they speak it with a lisp.
I repeat, I like my_/*accent*/_!
As for the lisp, try Catalan, not Castillian. I find it most insulting that Americans cannot distinguish between a Catalan accent and a Castillian accent. Its like confusing an Argentian for being a Chilean or a Bostonian for being a native of Charlotte, Virginia.
As far as "gringo" is concerned it depends where and how you use it. On the Mexican border I cringe if someone calls me that but they almost murdered my first husband with hot peppers for being a "Castillian." In Chile, it is used endearingly. They call north American women: "my little gringa."
If you want to be humorous by all means but I don't see humor in accusing a Castillian for having the Catalan lisp.
Sorry, obviously you meant well.
Suey