[Sca-cooks] Since it is Pennsic I have a totally off-topic is Risotto

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Mon Aug 8 13:38:13 PDT 2011

 http://www.risogallo.it/risogallo/home.jsp?domain=2&lang=2

How To, a bit about the different rice types

Arborio, Carneroli  or Vialone Nano nd recipes

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/food/risotto.asp

more about risotto

So arborio is by no means the only italian Risotto rice.
Yes Risotto made propperly takes some time (NO short cuts, except if you
have the easy cook variety, and enven then it will take at least a 1/4
hour!) 20-30 min
you add a laddle liquid at a time, stirr till it is absorbed by the rice,
add next laddle,..., till all your broth (works best) is used up and the
rices has still an *al dente* center but is creamy outside. "liquidness" of
risotto comes from taste of maker ( I also brefer a bit thicker risottos as
most italians would) region of recipe (some risottos resemble mor a soup,
than others) rice type you use,....

as to saffron risotto = Risotto Milanese "risòtt giald"

onion (white italian), saffron, broth, rice, butter, white wine (dry), salt,
granna Padano , nothing else

recipe in Italian:

http://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Risotto-allo-Zafferano.html

and here the story and history of the risotto, here they state that  the
frist recipes with rice roasted in butter and then slow cooked in broth is
documentable in 1779

http://www.risottomilanese.it

and  I have to second  Johnnae: is is indescribable  (pumpkin season
starts,...)

greetings
Katharina
_____