[Sca-cooks] pinot grigio vs. pinot noir

Audrey Bergeron-Morin audreybmorin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 20:17:09 PDT 2011

> I had assumed these were two very similar wines. Yeah, I'd expect better
> out of a regular restaurant, much less a fancy place.

It's a little more complicated than that. They are actually very similar...
except for the colour. It seems one is a mutation of the other.

>From Wikipedia:
Researchers at the University of California,
Davis<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_California,_Davis>,
have determined that Pinot gris has a remarkably similar
DNA<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA> profile
to Pinot noir <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinot_noir> and that the colour
difference is derived from a genetic mutation that occurred centuries ago.
The leaves and the vines of both grapes are so similar that the colouration
difference is the only thing that tells them apart.