[Sca-cooks] New 'invention' of medieval food?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Aug 19 05:48:41 PDT 2011

On 8/19/2011 5:23 AM, Craig Daniel wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Laura C. Minnick<lcm at jeffnet.org>  wrote:
>>> "The word "Vinegar"derives from the Latin "Vin Aicer" (two words and not
>>> the
>>> one), meaning "wine soured".
>>>
>>> The old French language bought the word to the English in the form of "vin
>>> aigre" eventually being Anglo saxonised to the word we know today
>>> "vinegar".
>>> Hence when a product is made with Ale- that in effect has become sour it
>>> becomes "ale aigre" or once again Anglo saxonised it becomes "Ale-gar". "
>>
>> 'Anglo saxonized'. OMG! He's a linguist too! Coining new words right and
>> left!
>>
>> The word is vinegar, idiot. Which in the 15th c was known to be made of
>> wine, cider, or ale. No fancy new word needed. But you can't trademark
>> 'vinegar'. ;-)
> Actually, I have seen references to Middle English uses of the word
> "alegar" (albeit only in secondary sources about brewing; haven't
> chased down any references) - but I'm quite certain it was more
> commonly referred to as a vinegar, even back then.

Really? Any idea where it might appear in period texts, if it does? It
could just as likely be a modern construct to make the differentiation.
I've not been able to find anything in any of the language works I have.
And I did point out to him that 'aigre' does not necessarily become
'gar' as he seems to suggest it would if 'Anglo-saxonized'. After all,
'gar' in Anglo-Saxon is spear. Not sour. :-)
Liutgard

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore