[Sca-cooks] New 'invention' of medieval food?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Aug 19 07:26:50 PDT 2011

Hoorde's Dyetary (1542), is the earliest listed reference in English
according to the OED.  The various primary sources specifically
differentiate between vinegar and alegar.  The generalized use of the term
vinegar for all of these products appears to arise from the understanding
that they are all acetic acid based in the early 19th Century, but the
evidence is sketchy.

Bear