[Sca-cooks] OT earthquake

Kathleen Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Wed Aug 24 07:16:19 PDT 2011

New Mexico has it's share of earthquakes, usually little ones, since we do kind of sit on a fault line.

The wild fires and monsoonal floods are what has been kicking our butts this year.  Destroyed an apple orchard, Dixon Apples, with a one two punch... large portion destroyed by wildfires, and just as they were picking up, flooded out by monsoon rains.    Trees ripped up and lying flat on the ground.

I don't think they will recover from that.  They had wonderful apples.

Cailte
>>> "Terry Decker" <t.d.decker at att.net> 8/23/2011 7:21 PM >>>
A 5.3 quake is quite noticeable but not particularly severe.  Given the
location and a 6.0 (upgraded from 5.8) on the East Coast, I can see the
quake in Colorado not making the news.  I haven't heard anything about it in
Oklahoma either.  The disruption of rail, air and highway traffic around
D.C. is far more important to the news powers than a little shaking out in
the hinterlands.

Bear