[Sca-cooks] A Challenge

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Aug 25 20:01:14 PDT 2011

Here's one suggestion.

This is an excerpt from The Good Housewife's Jewell
(England, 1596)
The original source can be found at MedievalCookery.com

To frie Chickins. Take your chickins and let them boyle in verye good
sweete broath a prittye while, and take the chickens out, and quarter
them out in peeces, and then put them into a frying pan with sweete
butter, and let them stewe in the pan, but you must not let them be
browne with frying, and then put out the butter out of the pan, and
then take a little sweete broath, and as much Vergice, and the yolkes
of two Egges, and beate them together, and put in a little Nutmegges,
synamon and Ginger, and Pepper into the sauce, and then put them all
into the pan to the chickens, and stirre them together in the pan, and
put them into a dish, and serue them vp.

Johnnae