[Sca-cooks] New 'invention' of medieval food?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Aug 18 14:22:47 PDT 2011

On 8/18/2011 9:56 AM, Nancy Kiel wrote:
> It took him ten years to turn ale into vinegar?  Did he use a medieval receipt for the ale?

Ale did not take 10 years to make in the 15th century. It took a handful
of *days* to make. Village women made it to supplement their income,
much like selling their surplus of eggs and cheese. (And the
fermentation was often started with body fluids, which grosses me out.)
They'd put it in a bucket, go out into the front yard and put out their
ale-stake to let everyone know they had some, and then ladle it out to
their customers.

Modern health inspectors would be clutching their pearls and shrieking
like little girls.

Liutgard
--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore