[Sca-cooks] Doing a vigil buffet

Michael Gunter dookgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 26 20:37:33 PDT 2011

> What are the "Almond tea cakes?"Source?

Totally modern. Somewhat like little wedding cake petits fours.

> I'm also curious about the potted meats. Are they things that keep without refrigeration?

I think they started out that way. Meats cooked in butter or in reduced stock and
then covered with a layer of butter to seal. I'm not going to trust them for long storage and
will be making them the Tuesday or Wednesday before the weekend they are to be served.
I wouldn't be worried about the potted beef but don't want to take chances on shrimp.

Some of the items are at Oksana's request and some I added to provide balance. Not everything
is going to be totally period but most of it will be

I am reconsidering the small mead as this would be better with a dry red wine or (heavens!)
tea or coffee. Something bright and slightly bitter to cut the richness of the foods. A small
beer would be better than small mead. I'm still playing around with exactly what to provide as
drinks other than the sekanjuban as she has requested it be served. A spiced wine wouldn't be
bad but I don't want to provide alcohol and it could be a bit expensive.

Gunthar