[Sca-cooks] camp cooking suggestions and tips

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 30 21:18:07 PDT 2011

<<< What tips and basic camp cooking information would you think
should be shared with any who show up? ?(and IF I get inspired can
someone point me to the home version equipment for make ice cream in
camp (the roll it around type, not the not owned crank freezer.)

Gwen Cat >>>

Perhaps these two files in the Florilegium would be a good reference
for using seal-a-meal units for SCA camping. I bought one when this
discussion last came up on this list, but we haven't really been doing
much camping since then.

In the FOOD section:
bag-cooking-msg   (61K) 12/23/10  Using plastic bags to warm pre-
cooked foods
                                      at SCA events. Vacuum food
sealers.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/bag-cooking-msg.html

In the SCA-CAMPING section:
cmp-ckng-bags-art  (8K)  3/11/10  Camp cooking using boil-in bags for
quick
                                     meals by Baroness Claire Shayhan.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/cmp-ckng-bags-art.html

Also in the FOOD section:
caldron-cookg-msg  (5K)  5/ 9/02  Cooking foods in a caldron over an
open fire
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/caldron-cookg-msg.html

Camp-Cooking-art   (8K) 12/ 4/00  "Camp Cooking" by Lady Caointiarn.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Camp-Cooking-art.html

M-Camp-Cookng-art (11K) 10/ 2/01  "More Camp Cooking" by Lady
Caointiarn.
                                      Some simple one-pot meals.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/M-Camp-Cookng-art.html

cook-ovr-fire-msg (68K) 6/ 8/09 Cooking over open fires. Outdoor feasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cook-ovr-fire-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com