[Sca-cooks] Apical and Laminal

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Aug 3 17:23:13 PDT 2011

That should be Damnyankee, a Southern noun.  Or it was when I graduated from
high school in Mobile, Alabama and spent the worst ten years of my life in
nine months in rural Mississippi.

Bear

Danielle wrote:
> Right, most of Latin America (and Andalucia) has seseo and Spain gets
> made fun of for the "lisp"-like ceceo, when in fact Castilla is mostly
> a region that has neither, preserving a two-way distinction among the
> four phonemes* that merged into/s/  in Latin America and/T/  in small
> parts of Spain. But there are many Latin Americans who use
> "castellano" (in that context) to mean "peninsular Spanish" - just as
> many less geographically astute people in the US refer to Wales as
> part of England, equally incorrectly. (It's also like calling everyone
> from the US a "yankee" - which I am very adamantly not, thank you very
> much, though I'll happily claim the short form "yank" by virtue of
> being a soccer fan.)
Up to here I am with you. The reference to Yankee's hit home. An
American friend from high society New Haven, CT, a very educated,
intelligent and cultured lady moved to a small town in Texas with her
husband and family for family reasons. She had to invite the wives of
her husband's associates, small town farmer's daughters, to tea one
afternoon. One of the locals was blunt as Texans are and called her a
"damn Yankee."
Now I understand, coming to Chile from Madrid, I in 'essence' have been
called the 'damn Castellan,' which make me bristle as my 'damn Yankee!'
friend did.