[Sca-cooks] aisel was New 'invention' of medieval food?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Aug 20 08:45:43 PDT 2011

MED on aisel or aisel (n.) Also aisil, aicel, eisel, asel, azel, esil,
ezil seems to hedge its bets

1.
(a) Vinegar (made of the juice of fruit, esp. grapes); (b) red ~,
white ~, red (white) wine vinegar; ~ squillin, vinegar spiced with
squill; (c) ~ vessel, cruet.
2.
Vinegar made of fruit other than grapes.
56:  Take peper and safron, wyne, vynegur, aysell, oþer alegur & do
therto. Form Cury (Add 5016)
3.
aisel and galle (atter), the `bitter' drink offered to Christ on the
cross; also fig.
I'm home again and catching up on the list and mail. I cannot figure
out why Coxon didn't start with C. Anne Wilson as alegar and vinegar
are explained in her Food and Drink in Britain. Enough clues there to
make the research not take 10 years. Wilson even includes a paragraph
that points out that alegar takes over for vinegar as simply malt
vinegar. Of course in this country we have our traditions of cider
vinegars and malt vinegar is reserved for fish shops and restaurant
tables.

Vinegars of the World sources De Rerum Naturis (9th century) for a
description. Balsamic is sourced to a mention in Acta Comitissae
Mathildis in the 12th century. As Alan Davidson pointed out in the
Oxford Companion to Food, vinegar didn't have to be invented, "as it
makes itself without difficulty."

Johnnae